Are faith and fun mutually exclusive terms? If you answered, Yes, it’s understandable. This simple Christmas celebration idea will help you:
- Have some fun
- Start a new celebration tradition with your family
- Remind you and yours about the mission of Christmas
Right or wrong, our celebrations often involve food. This simple Christmas celebration idea involves food. But in this case, the food is a means to an end. This is something you can do once, once a season, or you can adapt it and use it for several days each Christmas season. Remember: I like simple!
A Simple Christmas Celebration
What do we celebrate? It’s not presents, trees, lights, or Santa Claus. You already know that. It can be said a number of ways:
- The birth of Jesus
- Emmanuel, God with us
- The Word becoming flesh and dwelling among us
- God’s solution to our image problem
However you say it, it’s the original mission story. Yes, I’ve said that before. But no matter how many times it’s said, the facts of Christmas never change.
A Fun Mission Reminder
Jesus was on mission and that is our simple Christmas reminder. So how can we be reminded of that with fun and food?
The easiest way is to think of your favorite ethnic food. Let’s say Indian cuisine. Here is what you do:
- Find the name of a missionary that serves in India
- Learn about the missionary’s family (names, ages, etc.)
- Plan your meal
- Around your table, share the details of the missionary and their ministry
- Pray for the missionary before leaving the table
- Missionaries serve in many places where their names aren’t published (for their safety). Pray for them anyway.
Simple Christmas – Unlimited
Just to help out, most folks have a denominational agency that oversees mission work. The Baptists have one (International Mission Board), the Methodists and Presbyterians have similar agencies. Oh wait, there is also Rivers of the World! An internet search will give you some information and you could also contact a minister at your church for some help.
Now, how creative can you be? You can start by picking a country. Then you can Google native cuisine for that country. That can be a whole lot of fun. But it’s not as easy as picking Japanese food or Chinese or other ethnic foods we can use to connect.
If you start planning now, you could have 12 days of Simple Christmas celebrations next year. And just think what your family would learn about missions and the mission of Christmas! Think about it!
Soli Deo Gloria!