If Then statements are exercises in logic. Our culture seems to have lost touch with logic. So let me invite you back to those wonderful, logical exercises we used to do in math classes. Why? It’s not about math. But it is about the Author of logic and reason. God calls us to love Him with our entire being and that includes our minds. God can stand logical scrutiny and we need the exercise. And a point of clarification is in order…
IF Then: Since
The If Then statement is a tool to prove a theory. Each of the following points could follow the word If. However, it’s more correct if they follow the word Since. The reason should be evident. So here is a challenge in my Since/Then scenario…
- Jesus doesn’t just show the way, He is the Way
- The Way doesn’t just know the Word of God, He is the Living Word of God
- The Living Word doesn’t just know truth, He is the Truth
- The Truth doesn’t just know sheep, He is the Good Shepherd
- The Good Shepherd doesn’t just give living water, He is Living Water
- Living Water doesn’t “do” resurrection, He is the Resurrection
- The Resurrection doesn’t just know the end from the beginning, He is the Alpha & Omega, the Beginning and the End
- The Alpha & Omega doesn’t just know the right gate, He is the Gate
- The Gate doesn’t just give light, He is the Light of life and the Light of Heaven
- The Light doesn’t just give bread, He is Living Bread, the Bread of Life
- The Living Bread doesn’t just know about life, He is Life Author of Life and the
- The Life doesn’t just know about priestly matters, He is our Great High Priest
- Our High Priest doesn’t just know about sacrifices, He is our Sacrifice
- Our Sacrifice doesn’t just know about altars, He is the Altar
- The Altar doesn’t just know about plants, He is the Vine and we are His branches
- The Vine doesn’t just know about cattle, He is the Owner of the cattle on a thousand hills
- The Owner doesn’t just know about building, He is the Preparer of my place in Heaven and has paved its streets with gold!
- Why do I ask Him for what He has when He is all I need?
- Why do I think an offering is primarily about bringing Him more livestock, land and gold?
- I don’t have an offering, I am the offering! (Romans 12:1-2 – we are living sacrifices)
You see, when He truly gets me He gets all I have. Funny, that works in reverse. When we get Him, we get all He is!