Tired of political ads and talk? Don’t worry, you won’t find that here. But this political season is a great backdrop for a Life Lessons post about freedoms. Why? Well, do you ever have days when you are uncertain or fearful? There’s help in permanent freedoms!
Life Lessons: Security
Politicians want us to think they have the power to give and take away. In some things they do. But even in our legal structure, there are things they aren’t supposed to be able to breach. Ever heard of the Bill of Rights? And this actually leads to something much more important!
Our founding fathers didn’t trust politicians. Why? Politicians are people and they knew what we see every time we turn around:
- Man is sinful
- Sinful men often don’t use power in a Godly manner
- Power corrupts (probably just lets corruption show up quicker!)
So in founding a new nation, the founders put certain inalienable rights out of the reach of politicians. What was their pattern for doing that? The model they followed is very likely on your smart phone!
Life Lessons: Certainty
We enjoy the certainty of things that never change. You probably have a Bible app on your phone. God’s word never changes because God never changes. Our founders knew, and we need to be reminded, that we can face uncertain days in the certainty of God’s unchanging Word. Here are a dozen things every believer has been freed from:
Your Unchanging Freedoms
- Failure: Philippians 4:13 – I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me.
- Need: Philippians 4:19 – My God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.
- Fear: 2 Timothy 1:7 – God hath not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
- Doubt: Romans 12:3 – God has given to every man the measure of faith.
- Weakness: Psalm 27:1 – The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?
- Satan’s power: I John 4:4 – Greater is He that is in you, than he that is in the world.
- Defeat: 2 Corinthians 2:14 – But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and manifests through us the sweet aroma of the knowledge of Him in every place.
- Ignorance: I Corinthians 1:30 – But by His doing you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, and righteousness and sanctification, and redemption.
- Sin: I John 1:7 – If we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin.
- Worry: I Peter 5:7 – Casting all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you.
- Bondage: 2 Corinthians 3:17 – For where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.
- Condemnation: Romans 8:1 – There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
- Death and Hell: I Corinthians 15:55-57 – ‘O DEATH, WHERE IS YOUR VICTORY? O DEATH, WHERE IS YOUR STING?’ The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law; but thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
OK, so a Life Lessons post gave you a baker’s dozen! And remember, men didn’t give you those freedoms and men can never take them away – politician or not!
How about helping to encourage others? There are other freedoms we can never lose. Know some? Share in the comments section…Think about it!